Cookridge Hospital in Leeds, originally known as the Cookridge Convalescent Hospital, was built at a cost of £10,000 in the Gothic vernacular style with substantial financial support provided from John Metcalfe Smith of Beckett’s Bank. It began to accept patients for rehabilitation from the Leeds General Infirmary in 1869.
Wounded servicemen were treated here during the First World War. It briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital in 1939 and the Leeds Regional Hospital Board acquired ten years later. The hospital focused on radiation treatment of cancer, experimental work having started as far back as 1929. From 1952 until its closure at the end of 2007 it provided cutting edge treatment for cancer.
Since the closure of Cookridge Hospital, cancer patients have been treated in the Bexley Wing, a £220 million, purpose built, state-of-the-art, unit at the St James’s University Hospital in Leeds. It houses the St James’s Institute of Oncology which provides a world-class chemotherapy service to patients from across the region and beyond. The unit contains 10 floors, employs 1,600 staff and treats more than 5000 patients every year.